Are you feeling dizziness without any accompanying movements? If yes, then you are suffering from a condition called vertigo. It happens when your senses tell your brain that the body is off-balance, even though it is stable. Vertigo is just a symptom of an underlying condition and not a diagnosis in itself.
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or BPPV is the most common type of condition. When a small crystal of calcium gets loose in your inner ear, you will suffer from vertigo. It is most commonly felt when you are getting out of your bed or while you are tilting your head up. People who are over age 60 are the most prone to get vertigo.
When you are having an episode of vertigo, sit down immediately as this will decrease the chances of you getting hurt if you happen to fall. Usually, vertigo can occur only once; however, it may occur until some people diagnose and treat the underlying cause.
Managing vertigo is very easy and can be treated with the help of these simple home remedies for vertigo.
Effective Home Remedies to Stop Vertigo
What follows are some of the home remedies for vertigo you can implement to get relief from the condition.
Also known as the “Canalith” repositioning maneuver – the Epley maneuver is the first and the most effective home remedy for vertigo attacks. According to studies, this maneuver is significant in treating people with BPPV.
You can do this maneuver by following these simple steps:
- Begin the process by sitting upright on a flat surface.
- Set a pillow behind you and outstretch your legs for 40 seconds.
- Now, turn your head around 45 degrees to the right.
- Keep your head tilted and quickly recline with your head on the pillow.
- Hold this position for 25 seconds.
- Then, carefully turn your head 90 degrees on the opposite side without lifting your neck.
- Now, engage your whole body and turn to the left so that you’re entirely lying on your left side.
- Gradually, return to your original position, and sit straight up.
- You can repeat this process three times in a row until the dizziness goes away.
It is a tried and tested vertigo remedy and works wonderfully for people suffering from vertigo. However, keep in mind that if vertigo starts on the right side of the right ear, then directions will be reversed. Also, call your doctor and ask if you have neck or back condition, a detached retina, or blood vessel problems before trying this maneuver.
If you want to keep vertigo at bay, then try keeping your blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, and blood glucose levels in check. Incorporate healthy and natural ingredients in your diet as it will help you live a healthy and disease-free life and keep vertigo and other hosts of ailments away from you.
When suffering from an attack of vertigo, smell chopped onions and inhale the aroma forcibly until tears are flowing from your eyes. Onions are full of ammonia – inhaling the smell of ammonia can produce vasodilation, which will boost the blood supply to the brain. You can also try smelling sandalwood as a home remedy for a vertigo attack.
A Chinese herb – Ginkgo Biloba, is a tried and tested herb that can ease the symptoms of vertigo. Various studies have suggested that this herb is as potent as the medication betahistine in managing vertigo. This herb stimulates blood circulation to the brain, thus relieving dizziness and balance issues.
You can purchase Ginkgo Biloba extract from the stores in the form of liquid or capsules. The advisable dosage of Biloba is around 240 milligrams per day as it will lessen vertigo symptoms and help you feel more on balance.
Yoga with Tai Chi
Deep breathing and yoga can also help you deal with vertigo and its symptoms. Certain yoga positions like Ujjayi Pranayam can help you curb the symptoms of this condition. In this Pranayama, you will be holding your breath behind the belly button as it is very effective for many people.
Yoga and tai chi are very beneficial as they can reduce stress and increase your flexibility and balance. Try simple yoga poses such as Corpse pose, Child’s pose, and Pranayama when you feel a little bit dizzy. However, be careful while doing yoga poses involving sudden bending forward motion as it can temporarily worsen symptoms.
This is one of the easiest and most effective home remedies for vertigo attacks. To do this:
- First, sit down while bending your knees. You will be sitting on your calves.
- Then, look at the ceiling of the room for a few seconds.
- Now, touch the floor with your head and tuck your chin inside. Wait for 30 seconds in that position or until vertigo is gone.
- Then, turn your head in the affected side ear. Wait there for around 25 seconds.
- Rapidly raise your head, so it is in level with your back while you are on all fours.
- Maintain a 45-degree angle and wait in that position for 25 seconds.
- Slowly raise your head and carefully stand up.
You may need to repeat this a few times before your vertigo is done. Wait for around 15 minutes before trying it for a second time.
This is another maneuver that is known as one of the best home remedies for vertigo as it can decrease the effect of vertigo. To do this:
- Begin with sitting in an upright position on your bed.
- Now, tilt your head around 45-degree away from the affected side causing vertigo.
- Then, move into a lying position on one side and keep your nose pointed up.
- Maintain this position for about 25 seconds or until vertigo is eased off.
- Move back to the seated position once again.
- Follow the same procedure for the other side.
- Do these movements at least five times in a session.
- You can do three sessions a day for two weeks.
Give Yourself Neck Massage
A certain type of vertigo called Cervical vertigo starts due to an injury or inflammation of the muscle around the neck. This can be due to the damage to the nerves of the neck. These nerves are the one which connect to our brain, and the stress from the inflammation can create communication problems between these nerves and our brain.
So, massaging the neck can provide you some relief and help you during vertigo episodes.
You can also take various medications that are considered one of the best home remedies to stop vertigo attack. These medications include:
- Water pills: If you are suffering from vertigo then your doctor may prescribe you a water pill. When these pills are combined with a low-salt diet, then you will see instant decrement in dizziness episodes.
- Medications for dizziness and nausea relief: There are many medicines that you can take to get instant relief from vertigo, dizziness, and nausea. Your doctor can also prescribe you antihistamines and anticholinergics. However, you need to keep in mind that many of these drugs can cause drowsiness.
- Anti-anxiety medications: Various anti-anxiety medications such as Diazepam (Valium) and alprazolam (Xanax) are very effective in treating vertigo. But the downsides of these medications are that they are very addictive and can cause drowsiness.
If you think that something you are not getting from your diet is causing vertigo episodes then you can be right. According to a study, a lack of Vitamin D can worsen the symptoms of BPPV. You can drink a glass of milk or orange juice, eat canned tuna, and egg yolk to boost your Vitamin D level. Have your doctor check your Vitamin levels and see if you have any deficiency or not.
Altering your diet can be one of the most effective home remedies for vertigo as avoiding certain types of food can promote fluid balance in the ears and body.
The main culprits of aggravating vertigo are:
- Salty foods
- Sugary foods
People who suffer from migraine-associated vertigo should also avoid trigger food such as:
- Smoked meats
- Ripened cheeses
- Citrus fruits
- Chicken liver
- Red wine
Vertigo is not a diagnosis as it is just an indication of some underlying condition if it reoccur often. You can try these home remedies for vertigo attack as they can work as a short-term solution. However, if you have frequent episodes of vertigo then make sure you find the right cause.