Canine parvovirus enteritis or ‘parvo’ is a term that is related to an animal condition, which is often seen in dogs. If your dog is yet to be vaccinated then you need to worry as unvaccinated dogs are at a very high risk of contracting this infection, in which their intestine will be damaged.
It is a highly contagious disease and is spread by fecal matter. Anyone can get this disease from people, animals to inanimate objects that are not adequately cleaned. So, ensure that you tend to clean these objects after coming into contact with the disease. If left untreated, parvo can prove to be deadly, especially for puppies. Hence, you need to take proactive measures and treat it to eliminate it once it is diagnosed in your pet.
Your priority should be taking your dog to the veterinarian, which should form the basis of any treatment. In the meantime, you should look to apply several home remedies for parvo in dogs. These home remedies for parvo will not cure the disease, but they will help support your dog or puppy and help them overcome the virus, decrease the symptoms, and improve their health.
Effective Home Remedies for Parvo Disease
1. Keep Your Pet Hydrated
Dehydration is one of the biggest enemies of pets, and it can even prove to be fatal for your puppy who is suffering from parvo. So, ensure that your dog is hydrated all the time. With this disease, your dog will become severely dehydrated. So, ensure that your pet consumes adequate water, fluids, and especially electrolytes. Your dog will try to avoid moisture. Need not worry, be a little creative and think of a way to provide your pet with the lost fluids. You can purchase dog-friendly water bottles that will make your task effortless. It is one of the most basic and effective home remedies for parvo in dogs. Keep your pet hydrated by feeding them fluid regularly and maintain a warm environment to ease the absorption of liquids. Also, check the dog’s rectal temperature frequently. If it is > 99ºF, then it is good.
Try to maintain the room’s temperature according to that. You can also use electrolyte solutions like ORS or Pedialyte as they can balance the electrolytes and maintain hydration in your pup’s body. After the initial hydration process, you can add glucose water or Gatorade to your dog’s diet to provide energy before you move on to solid food.
Make sure you follow the hydration procedure for at least 9 hours. After that, you will see a transparent boost of energy in your dog as it will prefer to sit up rather than lying around.
Follow these steps to keep your dog hydrated:-
- Consult your veterinarian and ask about a Sub-Q fluids kit to bring home with you. Also, learn how you can administer fluids. Ask how many times your dog should receive these fluids in order to keep it adequately hydrated.
- The level of electrolytes in your dog will also be depleted. So, administer a diluted version of Pedialyte by incorporating it into your dog’s water. This will re-establish those lost electrolytes. Ask your veterinarian about the doses of electrolytes you should give to your dog.
2. Pepto Bismol
This is not a new name, as we have all heard how Pepto Bismol can help you deal with an upset stomach, diarrhea, heartburn, gas, and bloating. This is one of the most effective home remedies for parvo as it can help your pup get relief from this condition. Veterinarians often recommend Pepto and instruct to feed dogs in the liquid form to boost the digestive system and relieve the symptoms of diarrhea and other gut-related illnesses caused due to parvo. The main ingredient present in Pepto Bismol is the Bismuth Subsalicylate, a component that can help your pet’s stomach. It also has Salicylic Acid – an anti-inflammatory component that will act as an antacid and mild antibiotic. You can give a tablespoon of Pepto Bismol 5 to 6 times a day to treat diarrhea related to parvo.
3. Introduce Food Supplements
Some food supplements can help your puppy in combating parvo. However, keep one thing in mind that these supplements are not a substitute for veterinary treatment. They will only support your dog to fight the disease. If you want to try something at home for instant relief, then this is one of the best home remedies for parvo in puppies.
- Egg yolks are very beneficial as they can provide your dog with essential protein and support the immune system of dogs with parvo.
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for many conditions as it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which can also help your dog in parvo.
- You can get probiotics from the market as these products are specifically made to enhance the immunity of dogs.
- Fish oil supplements can also help your puppy’s immune system.
4. Specific Supplements
You can also try some specific supplements that are very helpful in supporting your dog and help it restore the weakened immune system. Try these supplements:
- Try giving vitamin C to your dog as it has potent antioxidants properties and plays a huge role in restoring the immune system’s strength. Fruits can help you get vitamin C.
- Activated charcoal is also beneficial in dealing with digestive issues in pets as it can remove toxins pretty effectively. It is safe for dogs. However, purchase a safe brand with fine powder, and start with small doses. Make sure you contact your vet before using it.
- Echinacea is a plant brimming with excellent anti-inflammatory properties and can help you soothe an irritated stomach. Begin with small doses and add your dog’s food. Again, make sure you contact your vet for its use and doses.
- Omega-3 fish oil is also one of the most effective in treating inflammation and helping your dog’s health. Add one capsule per day for around two weeks following veterinary treatment.
- Probiotics are very effective when it comes to restoring your dog’s health and bowels after a period of diarrhea, inflammation, and digestive illness. These products will soothe the intestinal tract and help restore bacteria to their healthy range.
5. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea has been used to treat many diseases and health issues for decades as it is very effective for our digestive system. Additionally, you can use it to treat parvo in dogs as it can also correct your pet’s digestive system. The anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile tea can help your dog’s digestive system, while the antimicrobial activity can kill microorganisms present in its body. Make a tea for treating parvo at home. Feed this tea to your dog at least five times a day. However, ensure that the tea is not too hot.
To try this remedy:
- Get four chamomile flowers, two slices of peeled apple, and 2 cups of water.
- First, boil the water in a teapot and then add sliced apples.
- Now, mash the apple slices and throw in the chamomile flowers.
- Cover the teapot and simmer it for around 4 minutes.
- Cool it down a little bit and feed your dog this tea.
6. Olive Leaf
Olive is a very beneficial plant as it is full of anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Oleuropein is one of the constituents in the olive – it is conducive against viruses like Herpes, Rotavirus, Bovine Rhinovirus, and Canine Parvovirus due to its antimicrobial activity.
According to research, olive leaves are brimming with this constituent, and you can use these leaves to make tea to help your friend deal with parvo. Require a handful of olive leaves and two cups of water. Dry the leaves in an oven for around 10 minutes at 150ºF. Simmer the leaves in a hot cup of water for another 8 minutes. Give it to your furry friend and improve their health.
Due to their various helpful properties, olive leaves are considered one of the best natural home remedies for parvo in dogs.
Only worrying about your dog’s condition will not help you solve the problem. So, book an appointment with a veterinarian as soon as possible. Meanwhile, try these home remedies for parvo in dogs to give relief to your canine friend.